Request an exemption to remain abroad for professionalization

As per article 21 of the “Landsstudietoelageregling” ,study financing recipients are required to returned to St.Maarten within 6 months after completion of their studies or they may request an exemption to remain abroad to professionalize or study further once this is not at the expense of the Government of St.Maarten.

When should you request an exemption?

  • To do Occupational Practical Training (OPT) after completing your studies.
  • To remain abroad and further your studies (masters, PHD) at your own expense. If you are still a study financing recipient no exemption is required.
  • Important Notice
    • Regular work not combine with a study or training is not consider as professionalization

Required supporting documents:

  • A letter addressed to the Minister of Education, Culture, Youth and Sport requesting funding for an exemption.
  • Please indicate in your letter the amount the specific amount of time for which the exemption is being requested.

In case OPT:

  • Proof that you was doing OPT (Contract, OPT documents etc.)
  • A copy of your transcript and diploma
  • Proof of your residency or immigration status

In case of furthering your studies:

  • Proof of enrollment in a master or PHD program.
  • A copy of your transcript and diploma.
  • Proof of your residency and or immigration status.
  • Proof of sufficient financial means to finance this study.

The exemption will be granted for one (1) year and must be extended annually by submitting OPT completion documents ,study results and or proof of enrollment.

wordpress website design